What we do
Social and Emotional Learning
What is SEL?
The purpose of social-emotional learning is to enable children to manage the complexities, demands and pressures of everyday life by developing confidence, resilience and the ability to self-manage, make good choices and build healthy relationships. Research has shown that social-emotional learning contributes significantly to overall health and happiness as well as academic progress. Our SEL programme focuses on teaching children how to acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to
- Understand and manage emotions
- Set and achieve positive goals
- Feel and show empathy for others
- Establish and maintain positive relationships
- Make responsible decisions
Find out more
What are the benefits?
By developing these competencies, children who participate in the CoolPlay program can expect to show
- better academic performance: achievement scores an average of 11 percentile points higher than students who did not receive SEL instruction;
- improved attitudes and behaviors: greater motivation to learn, deeper commitment to school, increased time devoted to schoolwork, and better classroom behavior;
- fewer negative behaviors: Decreases in disruptive behaviour, non-compliance, aggression and disciplinary referrals; and
- reduced emotional distress: fewer reports of student depression, anxiety, stress, and social withdrawal.”
How it works
A CoolPlay Champion, skilled in social and emotional learning techniques, conducts year round rugby and netball training sessions, centred around the CoolPlay curriculum
There are eight main principles (above right) unique to CoolPlay
- Team goals
- Team values
- Identifying Skill and character strengths
- Creating team spirit / cohesion
- Maintaining composure
- Optimistic thinking
- Responsible decision making
Our Champions are role models to their players and in their communities. Our Champion Development Program focuses on promoting their health and well-being, teaching them vital skills in knowing themselves, how to relate to others, and how to manage conflict, stress, and hardship.
Our Coaching Cards
Sport is not only fun, but it offers a powerful analogy for life. CoolPlay constantly strives to enable players to transport the CoolPlay conversations they learn on the sports field into their lives.
Thus each training session has a sports coaching objective and a life skill objective, which are closely related so that the sport can be used to demonstrate the life lesson.
In practice, each session is 85 minutes long: 55 minutes of sport and 30 minutes of life skills, broken into 3 x 10 minute sessions strategically placed within the practice.